Sunday, 20 July 2014

Healthy avocado brownies


Hi there!

It has been I while since I last posted. I was crazy busy and the problem is that I like to do a lot of things and I have difficulties setting priorities. Sounds familiar? ;-)

Anyway, I made these avocado brownies somewhere in march and I wanted to share these with you. I was looking for a good recipe, which had the right nutrients for me, my family and friends. I stumbled upon this site called "The Smoothie Lover" and BINGO, the recipe looked great.

You should definitely take a look, this blog is very nice, full of good and healthy recipes and photo's.

I chose to follow this recipe for a few reasons. It's flour free, it has a better sweetening option instead of processed sugar and it has healthy fats. I found they are especially good if you have intestinal problems like me (if I eat to much grains, my intestines get clogged). This recipe is flour free so I don't get a bloated tummy eating them. The coconut sugar has a low GI level, witch will keep your blood sugar stable. The healthy fats in the avocado, will also keep your intestines in a good condition. Extra benefit: an avocado is very nutrient dense. You can eat them every day, without to worry about calories, if you have a well balanced diet.

So it was time for me to try the recipe. You don't need a lot of ingredients. Good! Because I like to keep things simple!















I also like to give away food, so I decided to make a present for my friend Marlinde!







Luckily I could try them myself, because we planned a cozy dinner at Marlinde's!























Try them yourself, they are delicious! And don't forget to browse around The smoothie lover !


Avocado Brownies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 10
Ingredients
  • 200 g. (1½ cup) avocado flesh* (very ripe, but not brown)
  • 1 cup (240mL) coconut sugar OR ½ cup (120 mL) honey*
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup (240mL) dark cocoa powder (a bit more than 1 dl.)
  • 100 g. dark chocolate (I used 85% cocoa)
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 175°C / 350° F.
  2. In a bowl using a hand mixer (or use a stand mixer with the whipping-thing attached), mix together avocado and coconut sugar or honey until smooth. Beat in the eggs.
  3. Mix in the cocoa powder.
  4. In a foodprocessor grind the chocolate until fine (no lumps bigger than a small pea). Mix "chocolate-flour" into the dough.
  5. In a small bowl or glass dissolve the baking soda in water and add to the dough. Mix well.
  6. Butter a square pan or spring form. Pour the dough into the form and bake for approx. 20 minutes (until at toothpick comes out clean).
  7. Cool down outside the oven. Then cover and let cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours. The brownies becomes better the longer they sit in the fridge.
  8. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to an week.

No comments:

Post a Comment